Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Cantina Lorenzo Begali, March 1, 2014


On our way up to Madonna di Campiglio for our 2014 winter  vacation we managed to work in a winery visit.  An area I’ve always wanted to go to is the Valpolicella appellation of Veneto.
On the drive out there it made me realize that it is definitely an area I would like to return to for a long weekend…or more.  It was really beautiful.


When I first started my sommelier studies I fell in love with Amarone.  At the time, circa 2003, it was the best Italian red wine I had ever tasted.  It’s a big red, in fact you could make a meal out of it by itself.  For me now it’s almost too much, but it remains so special, in a class of itself, a one of a kind winestyle that just can’t be compared to any other.
In the past I had tasted a Valpolicella Classico Superiore, La Cengia 2008 from the Lorenzo Begali 

Lorenzo Begali

winery and thought it was fantastic, so I looked them up, put in a call and then we made our visit.  It was a wet rainy day and the atmosphere was quite dreary but the wines warmed us up and the owners were genuine people.


Tasting Notes 
11.     Valpolicella Classico 2012,
made from Corvina & Rondinella grapes
aged in only stainless steel
a really great wine for everyday drinking 
★★
22.     Valpolicella Classico Superiore, Ripasso 2011 “La Cengia”
made from Corvina & Rondinella grapes
this wine needs some time, it was honestly a little bit of a let down from the 2008 vintage. 
33.    Tigiolo, 2010
Made from Corvina 45% Cabernet s. 45% Rondinella 5% Merlot 5%.
They call this their mini amarone, which Lorenzo calls his own invention
44.     Amarone della Valpolicella Classico, 2010
aged in botte grande (big wood casks)
aroma of licorice, & cocoa with a smokey finish 
★★
55.     Amarone della Valpolicella Classico, Monte Ca’Bianca 2008
Made from Corvina 40%, Corvinone 35%, Rondinella 20%, Oseleta 5% grapes
My absolute favorite of the tasting!
★★★
66.     Recioto della Valpolicella, 2010
made from Corvina & Rondinella & Molinara grapes








for more info

http://www.begaliwine.it/main.php?section=lazienda&lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment